The St. Catharines Public Library regularly offers Computer Training courses for adults 15 years of age and older. All courses are 1.5 hours in length, with the exception of Tech Time (2 hours), Excel Basics (2 hours), e-Book Clinics (1/2 hour appointment), and Explore Enterprise: How to Use the Library's New Online Catalogue! (1 hour). Course handouts are available in class for an additional $2.00. The handout fee is waived for all fee-based courses.
Please note that occasionally sessions may be cancelled if the courses are not filled. For dates and times, please consult the latest version of the What's New Newsletter or our Event Calendar. For more information, or to register, please call 905-688-6103, ext 211.
Click on a course category to see the courses available.
- Computers 1 - Let staff introduce to you to the basic components of the computer. Learn mouse and keyboarding skills and how to operate a Windows computer. No experience necessary! Free.
- Computers 2 - Explore the Windows operating system and learn to manage and organize your files and folders. Pre-requisite: Computers 1 or basic mouse and keyboard skills. Free.
- Internet 1 - Learn to surf the Internet using web addresses and search engines! Pre-requisite: basic knowledge of computers. Free.
- Internet 2 - Improve your Internet searching skills using advanced search options in Google and general and specialized subject directories. Pre-requisite: Internet I or basic knowledge of computers and the Internet. Free.
- Internet 3 - Find it ALL online! Focus your searches to find great websites and hidden treasures on the Internet! Learn how to access our collection of databases and subscription-based websites, free-of-charge! Pre-requisite: Internet 2.Free.
- Email Basics - Learn to send, receive and organize email using a free web-based email service. Basic knowledge of computers and the Internet required. Fee: $5.00 + HST / person.
- Facebook 1 - Explore the world of social networking with Facebook. Create a profile, update your status and connect with friends. Basic knowledge of the Computer and the Internet are required. This course is intended for those who are new to Facebook and do not have a preexisting profile. Each participant must also have a valid email address. Fee: $5.00 + HST / person.
- Facebook 2 - Enhance your Facebook experience by experimenting with popular Facebook features. Learn how to upload pictures, connect with organizations, create groups, and master private messaging and chat. Pre-requisite: Facebook 1 or limited Facebook experience. Fee: $5.00 + HST / person.
- Twitter Basics - Discover how you can instantly connect with friends, celebrities, experts and organizations! In this course you will register with Twitter, learn how to “tweet”, send private messages, respond to your “followers” and manage your account settings. Basic knowledge of the Computer and the Internet are required. Fee: $5.00 + HST / person.
- Microsoft Word Basics - Learn the basics of creating stylish letters, professional looking reports and other useful documents in Microsoft Word 2010. Basic knowledge of computers required. Fee: $5.00 + HST / person.
Excel Basics -Learn the basics of creating professional spreadsheets with Microsoft Excel 2010. Prerequesite: Experience with Microsoft Word or Microsoft Word Basics.Fee: $10.00 + HST / person.
- Downloadable Books & Music (for PC’s and MAC’s) - Learn how to download free e-books, audiobooks and music to your computer or laptop. Participants will also learn how to transfer downloaded materials to computer-dependent e-readers. Please bring your e-reader, laptop and a valid St. Catharines Library card to the course. Free.
- Downloadable Books & Music (for Mobile Devices) - Learn how to download free e-books, audiobooks and music directly to your tablet or smartphone. Please bring your mobile device and a valid St. Catharines Library card to the course. Free.
- Downloadable Magazines 101 - Did you know that you can download free digital magazines to your computer, tablet, and/or smartphone? Let us show you how! Participants must have a valid St. Catharines Library card and may bring a mobile device to the program. Free.
- Digital Collections Clinic - Not sure how to download library e-books, audiobooks, music or magazines to your laptop, e-reader or tablet? We can help! Staff will provide one-on-one assistance to help you set up your device and access our wide variety of electronic collections, including Overdrive, Freegal, Zinio and more! Please bring your tablet, or e-reader and laptopand a valid St. Catharines Public Library Card. Pre-registration is required. Free.
- Ancestry Library Edition: Online Research 101 - Learn to search Census Records, Wills, Passenger Lists, Birth, Marriage & Death Records and many other unique full-text primary sources with user friendly search tools and comprehensive indexes to find the story of your ancestors. Free.
- Genealogy On The Internet - Learn about and explore genealogical websites, and develop your research skills. Pre-requisite: Internet I or basic knowledge of computers and the Internet. Pre-registration is required. Free.
- Job and Career Searching Online - Use national and local websites to find both public and private job postings, and discover new career possibilities by using the Internet, and our electronic databases. Tap into the hidden job market and learn to research companies and job trends through government information, business directories, and even the newspaper. In addition, get tips on resume preparation, cover letters and interview skills. Pre-registration is required. Free.
- Tech Time - Join us for a free, drop-in computer class where adults can ask questions and practice their computer and Internet skills in a relaxed environment. Receive one-on-one help with basic computer software issues, searching the Internet, accessing the Library catalogue and electronic resources, email, word processing, social networking and more! Pre-registration is not required. Free.
Upcoming Computer Programs
Friday, February, 17 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Central Library, Learning Resource Centre
Improve your Internet searching skills using subject directories and advanced se...
3D Printing Basics
Tuesday, February, 21 02:00 PM - 03:30 PM Central Library, Learning Resource Centre
You’ve heard about it – now come and learn all about 3D Printing! Discover h...
Wednesday, February, 22 06:30 PM - 08:00 PM Central Library, Learning Resource Centre
Explore the Windows 10 operating system. Learn to manage/organize files and fold...
Downloadable Magazines 101
Thursday, February, 23 02:00 PM - 03:00 PM Central Library, Learning Resource Centre
Learn how to download free digital magazines to your computer, tablet, and/or sm...
Friday, February, 24 10:00 AM - 11:30 AM Central Library, Learning Resource Centre
Focus your searches to find great websites. Learn to access the Library’s coll...
Saturday, February, 25 09:30 AM - 11:30 AM Merritt Branch
Join us for a free, drop-in session where adults can receive one-on-one help wit...